Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ian and Louise - the wedding

First things first.

A huge HUGE thank you to this wonderful couple, without whom, I would have been in so much trouble.

I pulled up to Ian and Louise's wedding, put my keys in my backpack, got out of the car, hip-checked the car door shut, looked through the window, and there - well, there was my camera bag, with my keys, locked in my car.

(I said a few choice words.)

Then, I ran around the car park asking people if they knew how to break into a car (you know - the most professional thing you can be doing on a Saturday morning, 15 minutes before a wedding is starting.)

Lucky for me (by the way - I was entirely prepared to break the window of my car to make the wedding on time) this couple had driven from Utah, and had a bag of tools in their car, and Louise's dad donated the hanger from his suit so we could get into the car.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't even know your names, but thank you (and if you would like a print of this picture, please, email me - its yours!)


Ok, so after pulling my heart out of my throat and the rock (to break my window) out of my pocket, on with the ceremony, which, I have to say, was one of the most beautiful, peaceful and mellow ceremonies I have ever attended.

Louise is Cree/Italian and Ian is Cree/Blackfoot and they had a traditional ceremony, which was held in a circular ceremonial lodge. The bride and groom, along with the elder who performed the ceremony and their families and close friends sat on buffalo rugs, while the guests sat on blankets and in chairs. When I first entered the room, I thought it was full, but more people kept coming in, and more room was made, and more people and more room . . .

The first part of the ceremony was the Pipe Ceremony, which is equivalent to exchanging the vows in a western ceremony. No photographs were allowed during this most sacred part of the ceremony. Next was the anointing with red ochre on Ian and Louise's temples, wrists and ankles (the dots you can see in the next photograph). The couple was presented with moccasins, which can only be used on very special occasions. Sage is sewn into the moccasins to help guide the couple through their lives together. Then they were presented with two eagle feathers that were tied together in a way that could not be taken apart. Both Ian and Louise asked family members to speak during the ceremony, and finally, a special blanket was draped over the Ian and Louise. In Indian culture, people's most prized possessions can be given away, but the gifts they were presented with during their marriage must be kept.

I am extraordinarily grateful to have been invited to witness Ian and Louise's marriage - thank you to you both, and to Wilton and your families for including me in such an important part of your lives.


After the traditional ceremony, Ian and Louise had a civil ceremony, with the white dress and tuxedo. They decided to have their photos before the ceremony. Initially, we were going to go to Hawrelak Park, where they had their engagement photos, but it was Heritage Days (kind of ironic!) and there's no way we could have got into the park. Instead, we went to the Commonwealth Stadium, where Ian and Louise first met in at the 2001 World Games.

While we waited for Louise to arrive, I got some shots of the guys. Is the ring bearer not the cutest buddy you have EVER seen?!

Then, I made Ian stand in a corner while Louise was approaching so we could get photos of their first look in their dressed-up-ness.


They look so happy, checking out each other's finery for the first time.

The lovely Louise, just after Ian made her laugh off her wedding day nerves.

I think this is one of my favourite shots of the day. Ian's dad was his best man, and it was clear from his speech at the morning ceremony how proud he is of Ian, and how much support and love Ian derives from his father, and I really wanted to capture that energy between them.

Louise and her mom.

These are the best, most meaningful (and sensible) wedding shoes I've ever seen! And pretty.

A couple of the bride and groom.
Thank you so much Louise and Ian for inviting me to be a part of your special day, and another big, big thank you to Tammy at Divine Weddings, who co-ordinated the whole affair. She did a spectacular job with the details of the day. Check out her blog for a few more pictures.