Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jodi and Brent - the wedding

I have so many great images from this wedding, I had a hard time narrowing down the pictures to blog.


When I saw Jodi when she arrived at the church, I took one look at her and said "you are going to cry, aren't you?" She begged me to make funny faces at her so she wouldn't. I tried, I really did! But here she is, walking down the isle with her dad, and her mom handing her Kleenex, because the tears had already started.





After Jodi and Brent's beautiful ceremony, we headed to the lake for a few shots. Here is the wonderful couple (and awâsis, inside).





Jodi's best and most gorgeous girls. Spot the awâsis. Actually, spot where the awâsis are not! (And, do you have any idea how many ways there are to refer to a child in Cree?)





The brotherhood! All family, all awesome. Brent is a good people, and has good friends to prove it.







Jodi's dad cleared an old farmstead for our picture taking - how cool is that!? Doesn't Brent make a great farmer?










We saw a vulture while doing this set of pictures, which at first gave me pause, because I am big into animal symbolism (and they are a little creepy). I did a little googling. In Egyptian, the hieroglyph for Mother, is the same as that for vulture. Very appropriate. And, in traditional American cultures, the vulture is the symbol for renewal, cleansing and transformation. I think that is a perfect symbol for Jodi and Brent's wedding.

After the formal photos, we returned to the Dion home. Jodi's dad had commissioned a tipi for the traditional Cree ceremony. Jodi is Big Bear's great-granddaughter.


The baby bears represent Brent and Jodi.



Often, ceremonies are not allowed to be photographed, but after their ceremony, we got some great shots of Jodi and Brent inside the tipi.


My favourite of the day.

Lovely



and handsome.


Ok. Maybe this is my favourite - from the reception.
When I did Jodi and Brent's engagement session, I knew they were magic. This wedding just confirmed it.
Jodi and Brent - thank you so much for inviting me to share your beautiful day and for your family's wonderful hospitality. Can't wait to meet your awasis!