Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Behind the Scenes

I thought I would share what goes into making your pictures.

Here's Nicholas - who's 2. There are a lot of shots of the back of his head, which I've discovered it totally typical for a 2 year old. Consequently, when he (or any other child) is facing the camera with a decent pose and interesting expression, I press the shutter. (I usually take between 300-500 pictures during a 1-2 hour session - although, the longer I do this, the less I need to take to get the good ones.)

This is what the picture looked like straight out of the camera. Nicholas, with his brothers' arms. The exposure is ok, but the lighting in the back is a bit dark, making the picture flatter than it should be.

Here is the run-through I did on the first computer program I use. I cropped out one brother's arm and used the fence to frame Nicholas. I adjusted the lighting, including the shadows and highlights a bit to make Nicolas "pop" a bit from the background.Finally, I ran the photo through Photoshop, removing the second arm, a few spots and tweaked the colour a little bit more. I knew I'd love this shot of Jakob and Stella - this is so THEM. Full of energy and on the move. The sun was behind them in this shot (note their shadows), so I metered off their faces to get the exposure right.

Nothing particularly wrong with the picture, but it doesn't do justice to the fall colours and the great light.


I popped the colours when I batch-edited this picture, bumping up the yellows, reds and blues, but Jakob and Stella's faces are still too dark. I also added a bit of vignette to the edges of the photo. I love the line in the pavement, but it needed to have a clearer ending.

In this final version from Photoshop, I bumped the colours a little bit more and brightened up their faces.
Here's my sweet baby sister. She got all the melanin in the family :). This shot is a tad underexposed, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it and didn't want to lose the detail in her dress. I also could have made a better background choice :)

When I downloaded the picture to my computer, I knew I wanted to focus on her face, so I increased the exposure a bit to bring out her eyes. After taking this picture into Photoshop, I got rid of the distracting background elements. As I was doing that, I overexposed the picture even further (which at first I was going to correct), but then realised how it made her glow - which is a much more accurate representation of my sister than the picture I first took.
The first pictures are what comes out of my camera, the second are what you get in your DVD that's included in all of my packages, and the third is what I do when I print the photos (a couple of these are also included on your disk.)