Monday, May 18, 2009

Look Mama, I'm a Man

Waaaaaaa. My baby boy is growing up. That's good right? That's what they are supposed to do. But, I'm all nostalgic and teary too.

We went to the barber. That's the kind of thing we do for family days. Weird, I know.

Here are Gabe and Isaac checking out Mike as he's getting his hair cut.

And my dear, wee baby boy decided he did in fact want a hair cut too. In fact, he look thrilled out of his mind at the prospect.

I love, love this picture of Isaac with his dad.

Ahhhh. There it goes. I want to cry. Naif kept asking me if I wanted to save "this piece". I saved the whole damn lot.

Although Isaac looks really solemn in this picture, he's actually really happy. When he's pleased about something, he gets a really serious look on his face, and you have to watch closely for the smile to shine through.

In this picture, he couldn't stop checking himself out in the mirror long enough to look at me. He's so stinking CUTE! He's got a gorgeous head under all that hair, and now he looks like he's actually related to his father instead of being spawned wholly from my loins :). Actually, one of the first things I noticed about him after he was born was his hair. He's got exactly the same cowlicks (about 3 of them) as his dad. It almost looks like someone scalped Mike and transplanted it onto Isaac.
Also in this picture, Gabe was dancing up and down demanding that he also have his hair cut. Lucky for me, there were three customers waiting behind us. I now have three weeks to convince him that wearing braids and twirling his hair at night are essential to his mental health. Or not. In the end, I do actually let my kids make up their own minds.

Isaac's starting to look slightly less-selfconsiously pleased.

Calling home to tell me he's a man now and all grown up.

So grown up, he can go to the pub if he pleases.

Sit at the bar, and order a drink.

Love this picture (look above his head). When I was little, I lived in England, and we used to go to the pub with my Aunty and Uncle, Granny and Grampy and my dad. I remember sitting up at the bar and ordering a gin and tonic. I used to think maybe they gave me just tonic water with lime, but I'm wondering now if they actually gave me the gin. What better way to mellow out your kids :)